Hello Readers. Here are the important updates of 19 August Current Affairs. The updates will help you score well in the Current Affairs Section of the exams. So here are 19 August Current Affairs | Daily Current Affairs.
19 August Current Affairs
India proposed to FAO of UN to declare 2019 as International Year of Millets
- India has proposed to the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations to declare the upcoming year i.e. 2019 as International Year of Millets.
- The Central and Kerala Governments pitches this declaration to create awareness about the richness of the food grains’ nutrients and health benefits across the world.
- The request of insertion will be made on the agenda of the 26th session of the Committee on Agriculture meeting in Rome.
Related Points – FAO
- Headquarters: Rome, Italy
- Founded: 16 October 1945, Quebec City, Canada
Rajasthan to remark September as ‘month of nutrition’
- Rajasthan will observe September as ‘month of nutrition’ to create awareness in rural as well as urban areas of the state.
- The government has issued an additional fund of ₹203 crore to provide milk daily to the students of Class 1 to 8.
Kofi Annan – Former UN Secretary-General died
- Kofi Annan – the former Secretary General of United Nations died at the age of 80.
- He had served as 7th UN Secretary-General from 1997 to 2006.
- He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize jointly with the United Nations in 2001 for their work for a better organized and more peaceful world.
Chief Financial Officer – MD Ranganath resigns from Infosys
- MD Ranganath – Chief Financial Officer of Infosys resigns the company.
- He has worked for 18 years for Infosys.
Scarlett Johansson – World’s highest paid female actress according to Forbes
- According to the Forbes magazine, Scarlett Johansson becomes the world’s highest paid female actress.
- The 33-year-old made USD 40.5 million in pre-tax earnings from June 1, 2017, to June 1, 2018.
- Angelina Jolie ranked second and Jennifer Aniston came in third according to the Forbes.
3 US scientists awarded 2018 Albany Medical Center Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research
- The three US scientists named as James Allison, Carl June, and Steven Rosenberg awarded the 2018 Albany Medical Center Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research.
- They have been recognized for their studies of the immune system which will lead to innovative treatments for cancer, HIV, and other diseases.
- The scientists will share the $5000, 000 medical prizes.
Ang Lee – Chinese Oscar-winning Director to be honored by Directors Guild of America
- The Chinese Oscar-winning Director Ang Lee will be honored by the Directors Guild of America.
- The ceremony will be held at the DGA Theatre in New York City.
- The DGA honors recognize the individuals who made distinguished contributions to American Culture through film and television.
11th World Hindi Conference begins in Mauritius Capital Port Louis
- The 3 day, 11th World Hindi Conference has begun in Capital of Mauritius – Port Louis with the initiative to develop, enhance and conserve the Hindi language in its original form.
- The ceremony was inaugurated by Prime minister of Mauritius Pravin Kumar Jagannath.
- The theme of this year conference is “Hindi World and Indian Culture”.
- More than 2000 delegates from 20 countries including India will participate in the conference.
Proposal to use hologram based colored stickers on vehicles accepted by Supreme Court
- The Supreme Court has accepted the proposal of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to use hologram based colored stickers on vehicles of Delhi National Capital Region (NCR).
- The stickers will have color coding that will indicate the nature of fuel used by vehicles in Delhi and NCR.
- Delhi will be the first city in India to have these stickers proposed by MoRTH.
- The light blue color sticker will indicate vehicles running with petrol and CNG run vehicle and orange will be for diesel driven vehicles.
Hope the above updates of 19 August Current Affairs will help you to enhance your preparations.
As you have revised the updates, now take Quiz of 19 August Current Affairs.
Share your feedback in the comments section.
Happy Learning !!