Hello Readers. Here are the important updates of 17 August Current Affairs. The updates will help you score well in the Current Affairs Section of the exams. So here are 17 August Current Affairs | Daily Current Affairs.
17 August Current Affairs
KS Srinivas appointed as Chairman of MPEDA
- IAS officer K S Srinivas has been designated as the Chairman of Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) under the aegis Union Commerce Ministry.
- He had served as Joint Secretary in the Department of Agriculture Cooperation and Farmers’ Welfare in the Ministry of Agriculture.
Related Points MPEDA
- Establishment – 1972
- Headquarters – Kochi, Kerala.
- It acts as coordinating agency with different Central and State Government engaged in fishery production and allied activities.
N Raghuram has been named as Chairman of International Nitrogen Initiative (INI)
- A global policy making initiative, International Nitrogen Initiative (INI) has elected N Raghuram as its Chairman.
- With this appointment, he became the first Indian and Asian to Chair INI.
- He is an Indian scientist and academician and professor at the GGS Indraprastha University, New Delhi.
- He will succeed Mark Sutton.
- David Kanter has been elected as Vice-Chair of INI.
Mario Abdo Benítez sworn in as new President of Paraguay
- Mario Abdo Benítez has been elected as the new President of Paraguay.
- He will succeed Horacio Cartes.
- The 46-year-old belongs to the conservative Colorado Party.
Related Points Paraguay
- Capital – Asuncion
- Currency – Paraguayan guarani
Ibrahim Boubacar Keita re-elected as Mali’s President
- The 73 years old, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita has been re-elected as president of Mali for a period of 5 years.
- He has defeated his opponent Soumaila Cisse with 67% votes. Related Points Mali
- Capital – Bamako
- Currency – West African CFA franc
- Prime Minister – Soumeylou Boubèye Maiga
Godrej’s Smitha Crishna India’s wealthiest woman
- In accordance with the Kotak Wealth-Hurun Report on “India’s wealthiest women list”, Smitha Crishna marked the top spot in the list with a net worth of Rs 37,570 crores.
- She is the third-generation heir of the Godrej Group having over 20% stake in group.
- She has been followed by Roshni Nadar, CEO of HCL Enterprise, having net worth of 30,200 crore and Indu Jain, CEO of Bennett Coleman & Co Group.
- The list consists of 100 Indian women with net worth above Rs 1,000 crore.
2018 Albany Medical Center Prize presented to Steven Rosenberg, Carl June and James Allison
- The United States largest prize in medicine and science, 2018 Albany Medical Center Prize, has been conferred upon James P. Allison, Carl June and Steven A. Rosenberg.
- The award recognized their significant contribution in the field of immunotherapy and revolutionization of cancer treatment.
- The Albany Medical Center Prize is presented annually to those who have altered the course of medical research.
- The award consists of cash prize of $500,000.
24th World Congress of Philosophy held in Beijing, China
- The 24th World Congress of Philosophy (WCP) has been hosted by Beijing, China.
- The theme 2018 is “Learning To Be Human”.
- This event has been organized by the International Federation of Philosophical Societies, and Peking University.
- The World Congress of Philosophy is organized every 5 years by the International Federation of Philosophical Societies (FISP) in collaboration with one of its member societies.
- The first WCP was held in Paris in 1900.
Hope the above updates of 17 August Current Affairs will help you to enhance your preparations.
As you have revised the updates, now take Quiz of 17 August Current Affairs.
Share your feedback in the comments section.
Happy Learning !!