Hello readers, last week we have discussed Vedic Civilization, that composed Vedas. Today we will revise the post vedic period, which gave rise to religious movements, starting from Buddhism A Religious Movement. In this we are covering all the material, which are important for exams.
So get ready to explore the Age of Buddha. 🙂
Always remember, Gautam Buddha was the founder of Buddhism.
- Complexity of Vedic rituals – These were not understood by the common man and were explained with the help of Brahmans.
- Vedic Literature in Sanskrit – Sanskrit was not used by the common man and it was considered as the language of the elite class.
- Supremacy of the Brahmans – Because of the above two reasons, society was influenced by the supremacy of the Brahmans
- Rigid Caste system
Buddha’s life is divided into 5 events, which is denoted by different symbols. The following table shows, events and symbols:
Now we will go through Gautam Buddha’s life events & his family by the way of tables:
He was raised with all luxuries and happiness. He was not aware of sorrows and hardships. Following are the 4 sights which showed him dejection and are marked as the turning point of his life:
- At the age of 29, he renounced his home, which is also known as Mahabhiniskramana.
- At the age of 35, he attained Nirvana at Uruvella (Bodh Gaya) on the banks of river Niranjana (Presently Falgu), under the Pipal tree.
- He delivered his 1st sermon aka Turning of the wheel of law or Dharmachakra Pravartana at Sarnath to his 5 disciples.
- He was died at the age of 80 in 483 BC in Kushinagar.
Brief explanation to reduce sorrows by Buddhism paths:
It is comprised of two types viz. Pali Text & Sanskrit Text. These are further divided into different texts which are shown as below:
It was developed in 3 forms:
The largest Buddhist temple in the world is Borobudur in Indonesia.
- Gita of Buddhism – Dhammapad
- Writer of Buddhacharita (poem on the life of Gautama Buddha) – Aswaghosa
With this we have completed Today’s topic. Hope you have learned today.
Check – Quiz on Buddhism
Please give your feedback in comments, we are ready to serve better 🙂
Subscribe and Share !
Keep Visiting !
Happy Learning !