Hey Readers, we provide daily current affairs which are important from examination point of view and let you enable to score high in the current affairs section, which will also enhance your overall scores. Here are the May 8 Current Affairs.
World Red Cross day observed on May 8
- Also known as Red Crescent Day, World Red Cross day is an annual celebration of the principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- This day commemorates the birth of Henry Dunant, the founder of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and the recipient of the first Nobel Peace Prize.
- Theme 2017 – Less Known Red Cross Stories
Devender Singh becomes 2nd Indian javelin thrower to qualify for August world athletics championships
- Devender Singh of Services won the Indian Grand Prix first leg with a throw of 84.57m, meeting the qualifying mark of 83m.
- Last month, Neeraj Chopra won silver in the second leg of the Asian Grand Prix in Jianxing, China.
- So far, 15 Indians have qualified for the world meet, to be held from August 5 to 13.
Heena Sidhu bagged bronze during Grand Prix of Liberation Plezn 2017
- Heena Sindhu clinched bronze medal in the women’s 10m Air Pistol by defeating Greek shooter Anna Korakaki.
- She shot 218.8 in the eight-woman final on the championship.
- Overall India won 7 medals viz. one gold, two silver and four bronze.
Emmanuel Macron becomes France’s youngest President
- Emmanuel Macron, 39 years old former investment banker, become the France’s youngest-ever leader.
- He defeated Marine Le Pen during the presidential poll.
- He will succeed Francois Hollande.
- Capital: Paris
- Currencies: Euro, CFP franc
Asian award’s Rising star award conferred upon actor Sunny Pawar
- Best known for acting in Oscar-nominated film “Lion”, child actor Sunny Pawar has been named “Rising Star” at the 7th Annual Asian Awards.
- His upcoming film “Love Sonia” is set to release in 2017 and features Demi Moore and Freida Pinto.
- The Asian Awards is an award ceremony takes place in the UK, recognizes exemplary achievement across 14 categories.
India’s first insurance premised on PoS launched by Edelweiss Tokio
- Nation’s introductory life insurance product that can be bought at a point of sale (PoS), “PoS Saral Nivesh”, has been launched by Edelweiss Tokio Life Insurance.
- It is non-linked, non-participating endowment life insurance plan which offers both protection and saving.
- This newly launched product’s sum assured ranges from Rs 50,000 to Rs 10 Lakh with policy tenures ranges from 10-20 years.
Related Points Edelweiss Tokio
- It is a Joint Venture between India’s Edelweiss Financial Services with Tokio Marine Holding Inc, the oldest and largest insurance company in Japan.
- Headquarter – Mumbai
- CEO – Deepak Mittal
India’s First Bio Refinery Plant launched in Pune
- India’s First Integrated Bio‐refinery for Renewable Fuels & Chemicals for producing ethanol from a variety of biomass inaugurated in Rahu in Pune district of Maharashtra.
- This newly established Bio‐refinery plant is capable of producing one million litres of ethanol per annum.
- Biofuel is cost‐effective and pollution‐free.
- Ethanol blending is the practice of blending petrol with ethanol.
Hope you have learned today.
We have posted Quiz on May 8 CA for your revision.
Please give your feedback in comments, we are ready to serve better. 🙂
Subscribe and Share !
Keep Visiting !
Happy Learning !